The Sint Maartenskliniek was founded in 1936 by the congregation of the Choorstraat. Doctor Bär started here as the first orthopedic specialist and advocated conservative orthopedics.
Thanks to this approach, the clinic was the first hospital in the Netherlands to have its own swimming pool in 1936, followed by many more firsts. For example, the 1960s were very important to the clinic. In 1962 the Sint Maartens started with secondary education for handicapped children: it was the first place in the Netherlands where this was possible. Gypsum master Wiellersen then founded the Dutch Association of Plaster Masters in 1964, after which the clinic started the first training in the Netherlands to become a plaster cast master in 1966. At the end of the 1960s, the clinic also became the first hospital in the Netherlands to perform a total hip operation. The timeline below clearly shows which important developments our clinic has undergone since 1936.