Sometimes companies are in the need to change the fiscal book year to another start and end date. It is possible to change a fiscal calendar for legal entities in Microsoft Dynamics AX 2012. This post is a walkthrough to guide you through the steps to achieve the desired result.
Let’s directly start with an example of the requirement to change the fiscal year. Suppose the fiscal calendar runs from January till December and this needs to be changed. The new calendar will run from April till March. You might have already posted transactions in your environment for several years. Also you could have some other companies which also needs to get a new pattern. Due to different regulations per country it might become a bit more complex. Some companies then would need to have the current fiscal year extended to 15 months. Other companies must have the current year to be 12 months and the next year 15 months. Also others might be in the need for an additional fiscal year of three months. Whatever the regulation is, the best thing to do is per different shift you need to create a new fiscal calendar.
Ax example the USMF demonstration company will be used. This company has now transactions in the fiscal year 2015 and also new fiscal years for 2016 and 2017 are already created. Use the navigation path General ledger > Setup > Fiscal calendars.
Perform the next steps:
- You can click the button New fiscal calendar to create a new shared calendar with the old years, a shifted year and new book years starting each year in April.
- Fill the fields on the drop down dialog with the values for the first year with the original start and end dates for the fiscal year and click Create.
- Click the button New fiscal year.
- Check the fields. You can also select the field Copy from last fiscal year to have an identical copy of the year 201o. Then click Create.
- Repeat the procedure of creating new fiscal years until you come across the first year which will be different.
- Untick the field Copy from last fiscal year if this was enabled and change the field End of fiscal year to indicate the new end date.
- You can now create more fiscal years starting from April 1 and ending March 31.
- Click General ledger > Setup > Ledger.
- In the Fiscal calendar field you can select the new created calendar.
- On the Ledger form you can click the button Recalculate ledger periods.
- Optional: You can enable the Batch processing to have the process run on the batch server. This is recommended for performance reasons. Using the button Recurrence you can choose a start date and time.
- Click OK to start the process directly or create the batch task.
Technical background recalculate ledger periods
That’s all for now. Till next time!